From Elvanör's Technical Wiki
- fakenes seems very good, with an excellent GUI and an excellent video support via OpenGL.
- Fakenes is quite slow with good video options (HQ4X). It also must be ran in windowed mode in order to use alt-tab.
- Mednafen is another candidate.
- The best one on Linux seems to be Yabause. Although slow, and problematic for sound, it is impressive already.
- You must use DOSBox. I did not find yet a good front-end for Gentoo. Write the configuration file yourself, and start the emulator directly on the command-line with as an argument the .EXE you want to load.
- Try dboxfe as a front end. It's already quite usable, not yet perfect though.
- Press Control-F10 to turn the mouse cursor off (useful for many games). Press Control-F11 or F12 to increase or decrease the CPU cycles. Some old games may need a very low cycle rate. Beware that by default these keys are already captured by KDE.
- Press alt-enter to switch fullscreen mode.
- Vice 1.22 is good, however I had problems with keyboard keys and speed (while reading the disks).
- Excellent emulator to play LucasArts games as well as other ones such as Legend of Kyrandia.
- Don't select the ALSA driver as a sound driver (for some reason it then says it cannot find the MIDI port). Select the Adlib driver or the default one.